How to Read Hydraulic Hose Laylines
Hydraulic hose laylines may appear to be confusing at first glance, but they hold crucial information that can help you understand the capabilities and limitations of hydraulic hoses. By learning how to read these laylines, you can determine the suitability of a hose for specific applications, identify its key features, and ensure compliance with industry standards and regulations.
What Is a Hydraulic Hose Layline?
A hydraulic hose layline refers to the printed markings or tags found on a hydraulic hose. These laylines provide essential information about the characteristics and performance capabilities of the hose, making it easier for users to identify and select the right hose for their specific needs.
What Information Is Included in a Hydraulic Hose Layline?
The layline typically includes details such as the hose manufacturer’s name or logo, specification standards, pressure rating, temperature range, date of manufacturing, identification number or code, and usage instructions or warnings. Understanding how to read these laylines is crucial for ensuring safe and efficient operation in hydraulic systems.
How to Use the Information Provided in a Hydraulic Hose Layline
To make the most of the information provided in a hydraulic hose layline, follow these steps:
- Identify the manufacturer: Look for the name or logo of the company that produced the hose. Reputable manufacturers are more likely to produce high-quality hoses.
- Check the specification standards: The layline may include specifications such as SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) or ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation). Ensure that the hose meets your specific application’s requirements based on these standards.
- Determine pressure rating: Hydraulic hoses have maximum working pressure limits stated on their laylines. Match this value with your system’s needs to avoid using a hose rated lower than required, which could result in failure or safety risks.
- Examine the temperature range: Hoses operate within certain temperature parameters mentioned on their laylines. Verify if they can withstand the temperatures within your system without compromising performance or durability.
- Note the manufacturing date and identification number: These details help track warranty periods and quickly identify hoses for replacement or maintenance purposes.
- Pay attention to the usage instructions and warnings: Some laylines may provide additional guidance relevant to specific applications, limitations, or warnings about potential hazards associated with improper use.
By carefully reviewing and understanding all aspects of the layline, you can ensure that the hydraulic hose is suitable for your specific application and meets industry standards.
How to Use Hydraulic Hose Laylines for Other Purposes
- Hose Covers: The layline can indicate the type of cover on the hydraulic hose, such as synthetic rubber or thermoplastic. This information helps determine the hose’s resistance to factors like abrasion, UV rays, chemicals, and environmental conditions.
- Hose and Fittings: Some laylines also provide information about the compatible fittings for a particular hydraulic hose. This ensures proper assembly and connection between hoses and fittings for leak-free performance.
- Hose Assemblies: If you need to identify specific hoses in complex hydraulic systems with multiple assemblies, laylines can help differentiate them by indicating unique identification numbers or codes.
- Hose Diameter: Laylines may specify the inner diameter (ID) or outer diameter (OD) of a hydraulic hose. This is useful when selecting fittings or ensuring compatibility with other components in your system.
- Skive Printed vs. Non-Skive Printed: A skived hydraulic hose has its outer layer removed before attaching the fitting, while non-skived hoses do not require this preparation step. The layline will indicate whether it is skive printed or non-skive printed, helping you choose compatible fittings accordingly.
Get the Hydraulic Hoses You Need Today
Get the hydraulic hoses you need today at White House Products, Ltd. Browse our wide selection of high-quality hoses featuring clear and informative laylines. Choose from a range of specifications, pressure ratings, temperature ranges, and hose covers to ensure optimal performance in your hydraulic systems. Whether you’re looking for hose assemblies or individual hoses with the right diameter and fitting compatibility, we have what you need. Browse our inventories online or contact us directly today.
Back to blog posts