All About Oil and Your Hydraulic System
The oil in your hydraulic system performs several vital functions to keep the system operating, including:
- Transmitting power
- Removing Contaminants
- Lubricating Parts and Components
- System Sealing
- System Cooling
Using the wrong type of oil or not keeping the oil clean can result in premature system failures. You will want to review what types of oil are compatible with your system.
There are several different options on the market, including:
- Synthetic Oils: Synthetics are becoming more popular because they tend to break down slower than other oils and require less frequent oil changes.
- Synthetic Blends: Synthetic blends are a mixture of conventional and synthetic oils. They provide decent lubrication and are ideally suited for older systems.
- Conventional Oils: Conventional mineral oils tend to be the least expensive. They do require regular monitoring and more frequent changes than other oils.
- Water-Based Fluids: This type of hydraulic fluid is used in systems where there is a high risk of fires or explosions. However, water-based fluids do not provide much wear protection to system components.
With the different oil options for your system, one thing to remember is to choose an oil that has the right viscosity. The viscosity is a measurement of the oil’s resistance to flow, the lower the number the thinner the oil, the higher the number the thicker. For instance, in cold environments, you want an oil with a lower viscosity.
For help selecting the right oil or for pumps, parts, and other hydraulic components, please feel free to contact White House Products Ltd. at +44 (0) 1475 742500 today!
back to blog posts