Advantages of Helical Hydraulic Actuators
Helical hydraulic actuators are a type of high performance hydraulic actuator that provides numerous advantages over other types of actuators. These actuators use a helix-shaped piston, allowing them to achieve high speeds and precision control. With their compact size and excellent power-to-weight ratio, helical hydraulic actuators are widely used in various industries where precise motion control is paramount, such as robotics, aerospace, automation systems, and manufacturing.
What Is a Helical Hydraulic Actuator?
A helical hydraulic actuator is a type of hydraulic actuator that converts fluid hydraulic pressure into linear motion using a helix-shaped piston. The actuator consists of a cylindrical housing with an internal threaded shaft, similar to the thread on a screw. This threaded shaft is driven by pressurised fluid, which enters the housing through inlet ports.
As the fluid enters, it pushes against the helical piston threads, causing it to rotate while simultaneously moving axially along the shaft. This rotation and axial movement result in converting the linear motion output from the actuator.
Helical Hydraulic Actuator Applications
Helical hydraulic actuators are versatile and find applications in various industries where precise motion control is required. Some common applications include:
- Robotics: Helical hydraulic actuators are used in industrial robots, collaborative robots, and robotic manipulators to provide precise and efficient movement for tasks such as pick-and-place operations, assembly, welding, and material handling.
- Aerospace: These actuators are utilised in aircraft systems for controlling landing gear operation, wing flaps, thrust reversers, and other essential functions that require accurate positioning and reliable performance.
- Automation Systems: Helical hydraulic actuators play a crucial role in automated manufacturing processes such as CNC machines or production lines by enabling controlled movements of cutting tools, grippers, conveyors, and other equipment.
- Material Handling: They can be found in logistics systems like automated warehouses or conveyor systems to manipulate packages or pallets with precision during picking/moving operations.
- Medical Equipment: Helical hydraulic actuators serve medical devices like surgical robots or imaging equipment where high-precision motion control is critical for minimally invasive surgeries or diagnostic procedures.
- Industrial Machinery: These actuators enable precise positioning adjustments on machines involved in metalworking, such as shearing machines, printing presses, packaging machinery, and textile machinery, ensuring accuracy during the manufacturing process.
- Entertainment Industry: Helical hydraulic actuators find application in stage automation systems for moving set pieces smoothly during theatrical performances or concerts to create visually stunning effects and immersive experiences.
- Automotive Industry: They are used in various automotive applications, such as active suspension systems, convertible tops, power seat adjustments, and clutch actuation for improved control and comfort.
- Defence and Military: Helical hydraulic actuators are used in defence equipment like missile launchers, radar systems, armoured vehicle manipulators, or precision gun turrets to achieve precise positioning and rapid response times.
- Energy Sector: These actuators can be employed in power plants for valve control in turbines or regulating the flow of fluids through pipelines to ensure efficient energy generation and distribution.
Pros of Using Helical Hydraulic Actuators
There are several advantages of using helical hydraulic actuators in various applications:
- High Precision: Helical hydraulic actuators offer precise and accurate positioning capabilities, allowing for fine control over the movement of equipment and machinery.
- Compact Design: These actuators have a compact size compared to other types of hydraulic actuators, making them suitable for applications with limited space or where weight reduction is crucial.
- Increased Speed: Helical hydraulic actuators can achieve high speeds due to the helix-shaped piston design, enabling rapid movements and improved efficiency in dynamic systems.
- Superior Power-to-Weight Ratio: The helical design allows for efficient power transmission while maintaining a lightweight construction, resulting in excellent power-to-weight ratio performance.
- Smooth Operation: They provide smooth and uniform linear motion output without any jerks or vibrations, ensuring stable operation during tasks that require consistent movement control.
- Enhanced Durability: Helical hydraulic actuators are known for their heavy-duty durability and resistance to wear as they rely on rolling contact between the piston threads and housing surfaces instead of sliding friction found in other actuator designs.
- High Load Capacity: These actuators are capable of handling heavy loads with ease, making them suitable for industrial applications requiring substantial force exertion and stability.
- Energy Efficiency: Helical hydraulic technology offers improved energy efficiency when compared to alternative actuation methods, helping reduce operating costs by minimising energy consumption.
- Versatility: They can be used across a wide range of industries due to their versatility and adaptability to various applications, making them a versatile choice for different motion control needs.
- Reliability: Helical hydraulic actuators are renowned for their reliability and long lifespan, providing consistent performance over extended periods of operation with minimal maintenance requirements.
Is a Hydraulic Rotary Actuator the Same as a Helical Hydraulic Actuator?
No, a hydraulic rotary actuator is not the same as a helical hydraulic actuator. While both types of actuators utilise hydraulic power to generate mechanical motion, they have distinct designs and functions.
A hydraulic rotary actuator converts fluid pressure into rotational motion instead of linear motion, as does a helical hydraulic actuator. It typically consists of a cylinder with an internal piston or vane mechanism that rotates when pressurised fluid enters different chambers within the actuator.
On the other hand, a helical hydraulic actuator translates fluid pressure into linear motion using a helix-shaped piston. The threaded design allows for axial movement along with rotation, resulting in linear output from the actuator.
Both actuators have their own advantages and applications based on specific needs. Hydraulic rotary actuators are commonly used in systems requiring continuous rotation, such as industrial machinery or steering mechanisms. Helical hydraulic actuators, with their precise control and compact size, are often used in tasks where accurate positioning or straight-line motion is essential across various industries.
Find the Hydraulic Actuators You Need Today
Are you looking for hydraulic pumps, motors, and accessories? Look no further than White House Products, Ltd. We have a wide range of helical and rotary hydraulic actuators to meet your needs. Whether you require linear or rotary motion, our high-quality products are designed for precision and durability. Explore our product catalogue online or contact us directly today.
Back to blog posts